Thursday, August 23, 2007

Introductions - Fikile

She is the most quiet and reserved of the lot. In truth we really know very little about her, and what we do know - we learned recently, since she started bringing her limited possessions to me in the morning to hide from the cops.

Fikile hangs out with Maria a lot, as well as Thandi. Her and Thandi often sleep under the same blanket in the park. When Francine was sick - she took care of her too.

She always wears the brown coat, and sits next to Maria on a crate, observing the street. Her English is better then many of the ladies, but she hardly talks. Not to say that she is unfriendly, but there is a certain amount of hardness and determination behind her stance. Her face is scarred, and her eyes sad. She is very memorable.

The only thing she ever asked me for is blankets and eye drops, because after that bastard punched her in the face in front of the whole street - her eye became blood shot and sore. Even then she didn't complain, just simply showed me who he was and told me he was a rapist and not to be trusted. He hasn't come near her since as far as I gather. If he does - I will hurt him.

The others tell me about their hardship. With her I can read it in a silent sideline. I, also silently, wish every day that I get to see her luck change.


No comments: