Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wednesday - 15 th of August

I love these little creatures. They look like they are about to venture across the road and into the big world. They are the creations of this great Rasta dude and his friends. He also makes bead sculptures. Colleen and I bought a sheep from him, and a really cool strawberry key ring, which i take everywhere. He has had his stuff taken away a few times, so now he packs up in record time at the first sign of cops. I will introduce you to him sometime. He is very well spoken and great to chat to.

Today has been a slightly better day for us all. Colleen and I spent the morning calling Joburg Gen, trying to find out what happened to Francine. I am not kidding when I say - we must have called about 20 times. The level of service in that place is incredible. The phone would either not be answered, or we would be put through to the wrong place, or put on hold for 10 minutes, or - my personal favorite - put through to a fax machine!

Eventually my new musician friend (remind me to introduce him asap, once I remember his name) rang the bell at the gate to let me know Francine was back. I came to see her. She looked reassured. The doctor gave her a card so that she can come back if she is feeling bad again, and gave her pills. I didnt have the heart to tell her that the pills where just Paracetamol.
In truth I am just NOT reassured enough by knowing that an old woman with cancer got discharged with some pain killers, but i guess what can you do. Mental note: get Medical aid!

The musician played me some music. We had a great chat about his views on this country. He is the most positive man, seing a united future for everyone. He has decided to record the street women singing. the new lady i met today has entertained us all with a song, which was great.

Maria has asked us to hide what is left of her stuff for the day inside our parking lot, in case the cops decide to pay another visit. Colleen is thinking of laying a charge of theft. Meghan is suggesting putting up posters to raise awareness within the community as to the situation. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Between Meghan, Chris and myself - we took some rather cool pictures today. Will post them one by one.

Please don't forget, we still need blankets. We have one so far.

No comments: