Monday, August 20, 2007

Introductions - Music Man

So fine, I forgot his name, and now feel too blind asking, after spending so long speaking to him... you know how it goes. Strangely enough everyone in the office also forgot, perhaps due to me raving about him as 'the music man'.

I first met him ages ago, walking out the office one horribly cold day. He was a vision, tall and unusually dressed, with this strange content look on his face. He started a conversation. I was a bit paranoid of this friendly stranger at first (I live in SA after all), but he soon bedazzled me with his colorful stories and fresh outlooks.

The man is extremely well spoken, has a knowledge of history - both local and international - that i haven't seen in a very long time. When i told him i was Russian, he quickly ran me through the history of my own country, the entire cold war and the relationship between Russia and South Africa.. and must have had a good laugh at my hanging jaw.


His views on the current situation were also quite inspiring. 'Why can't the rich people in Norwood reach out and help these homeless people?' he asked me. 'They have so much, and right next to them are people who have so little. it's their community, so why cant they look after it?'
well, new friend, if i had an answer for you, I would sleep better at night.

I am not entirely sure where he comes from and where he lives. He says he grew up around Norwood, brought up by Jewish people and thus likes to come here to revisit the past, as well as to hang out with the people. They all surround him and his bottle of cheap wine, as entertained by him as I am.

The other day he brought some music that he made. It was amazing, actually. Very African, but with a unique mixture of influences, like old rock etc - his musical background. He records and distributes himself, with many of the songs written for current events - like the bus crash in Westdene dam, or the Mandela bridge. Next time i see him I will ask if he would mind uploading samples for you people to hear. It really did blow me away.

Oh and next time I see him i will be sure to catch his name. Till then he will remain the mysterious Music Man of Norwood.

Update: His name is Michael Lebese :-)

1 comment:

Meghan said...

a breath of fresh air bows through my stale brain when i speak to this man. a subtle reminder of the attitude that would change the world if ever addopted by the people in it.he is rhythm itself - flowing through the streets - searching for ears